The Pilbara Regiment hat badge: One of two Australian regional force surveillance units (along with 51 FNQR). In the late 1970s and early 1980s the need was acknowledged for a military presence on the north west coast of Australia. The government of the time identified the requirement for an integrated air, sea and land surveillance network. The regional plan revolved around an air component at Learmonth, the development of a Naval facility at Finucane Island in Port Hedland and the raising of reserve unit by consolidating reserve soldiers living in the Pilbara. After a detailed feasibility survey by Brigadier Taylor, the Commander of 5th Field Force Group and 5th Military District, Army Office released the Organisational Instruction 592/81 authorising the raising of the 5th Independent Rifle Company, The Pilbara Regiment in December 1981. The Company was to be raised in order to provide a military presence leading to the development of a ground surveillance and reconnaissance capability. The initial regimental area of responsibility was the West Australian coast from 180 south (vicinity of Broome) to Geraldton.
16th Battalion, The Cameron Highlanders Western Australia hat badge: The 16th Battalion of the Royal Western Australia Regiment is a Reserve Infantry Battalion located at Karrakatta, with outlying depots in Geraldton and Kalgoorlie. The 16th Battalion can trace its history back to the time of federation when the Goldfields Battalion of Infantry was formed. 16th Battalion AIF was raised on 16 September, 1914 at Blackboy Hill Camp, Greenmount, Western Australia. This formation was part of the 4th Infantry Brigade.