Battle of Pakchon

Back to Blog Grid
146946 - Battle of Pakchon

Battle of Pakchon

5 NOV 1950: Korea and the Battle of Pakchon. The 3rd Battalion, The Royal Australian Regiment, successfully assaults and holds crucial hill features overlooking Pakchon in the face of heavy North Korean and Chinese resistance.

In November, after the actions of the Broken Bridge and Chongju, the 27th Commonwealth Brigade held position near the town of Pakchon (map), in defence of the road leading south to the Chongchon River.

Australian troops were concentrated on the west bank of the Taeryong River near Pakchon.

On the night of 4-5 November, Chinese troops, who had only recently entered the war, attacked the area.
They were repelled by the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders during the morning of 5 November, but other Chinese troops continued to advance southwards, threatening to isolate the position of the brigade.

The 3rd Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment (3 RAR), was hurriedly sent to stop the Chinese on a tactically important ridgeline, east of Pakchon.

The enemy positions were first strafed by Mustangs of 77 Squadron, RAAF: this was the first occasion when Australian troops and airpower worked together in Korea. The raid having thrown the Chinese into confusion, 3 RAR then attacked. After two hours of fierce defence by the Chinese, the Australians captured the ridgeline.

However, the fight was not to end there.

After dark that night, the Chinese launched a massive counter-attack. On the Pakchon road, C Company was fired upon, while Chinese infantry attacked A and B companies on the ridgeline. Colonel F. S. Walsh, Commanding Officer of 3 RAR, withdrew the Australian companies from the ridgeline to lower ground. A Company, in particular, suffered many casualties during their withdrawal.
Considering Walsh’s decision a foolish move, the 27th Brigade Commander Brigadier Aubrey Coad reversed Walsh’s order, as he felt leaving the ridgeline open would give the enemy direct access to the rest of the brigade.

However, by the time his order came through, only one Australian company – D Company – could return to defend the position. Fortunately, after midnight it was clear that the Chinese were withdrawing. 3 RAR had secured the ridge and the road running south from Pakchon was safe.

The battle had claimed 12 Australian lives; seventy men were wounded. Brigadier Coad appointed Lieutenant Colonel Bruce Ferguson as the new CO of 3 RAR the next morning.

The Australians remained in the area for a few weeks afterwards, but to their surprise, the Chinese troops kept a low profile. The action at Pakchon marked the end of the first Chinese offensive. Photo: 4 November 1950. Australian troops from C Company, 3 RAR, march towards Pakchon. More;

Share this post

Leave a Comment:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to Blog Grid

Get 5% Off now!

Register now and get free coupon code.
 Register Now
Are your currently serving? Just pop your details in the form
and we'll fix it. Medal news, defence updates, great deals ...
Use your DRN email for instant discounts on site, every day.
We'll NEVER flood your inbox. Ever. Promise!
COVID-19 UPDATE: Our retail store is still operating on limited hours, by appointment only, but we are continuing to quickly fulfil orders placed online. Our mounting teams are working at their homes and we’re working with a skeleton staff on reduced hours warehouse-wise, however we will do our best to continue to post orders on the next business day. We appreciate your patience if this process is delayed. Australia Post and all couriers are also experiencing delays - understand that items may arrive later than expected. We will continue to keep you updated with any further updates.